log
247 entries in 0.402s
a111: Logged on 2019-05-22 21:36 lobbes: http://www.thetarpit.org/posts/y05/090-tmsr-work-ii.html#selection-197.31-205.258 << I wager there's a good chance you'll publish a genesis of tbnl/hunchentoot before I eat through mod_lisp, but I agree: as pieces emerge, we can sync up, regrind as needed, etc.
lobbes: http://www.thetarpit.org/posts/y05/090-tmsr-work-ii.html#selection-197.31-205.258 << I wager there's a good chance you'll publish a genesis of tbnl/hunchentoot before I eat through mod_lisp, but I agree: as pieces emerge, we can sync up, regrind as needed, etc. ☟︎
a111: Logged on 2019-04-27 08:39 spyked: as things stand currently, http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html#selection-311.98-311.247 is true, but logging and responding to commands/voicing aren't ~necessarily~ mutually exclusive
spyked: as things stand currently, http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html#selection-311.98-311.247 is true, but logging and responding to commands/voicing aren't ~necessarily~ mutually exclusive ☟︎
spyked: this would require another regrind, but I'm supposing the time will come when someone will need both trilemabot and logbot in the same place. I can take it upon myself to do this if there's no objections
a111: Logged on 2019-04-17 16:24 asciilifeform: unrelatedly : phf , iirc you signed a coupla ch of ffa prior to the keccak regrind. didja ever sign the reground chs ?
asciilifeform: unrelatedly : phf , iirc you signed a coupla ch of ffa prior to the keccak regrind. didja ever sign the reground chs ? ☟︎
a111: Logged on 2019-04-02 20:26 feedbot: http://blog.lobbesblog.com/2019/04/signature-for-spykeds-keccak-regrind-of-logbot_command_router_python_genesis/ << lobbesblog -- Signature for spyked's Keccak regrind of logb...esis
feedbot: http://blog.lobbesblog.com/2019/04/signature-for-spykeds-keccak-regrind-of-logbot_command_router_python_genesis/ << lobbesblog -- Signature for spyked's Keccak regrind of logb...esis ☟︎
a111: Logged on 2019-03-25 16:51 hanbot: nope, fuck me, still broken. i'm going to have to regrind again, meanwhile i have meattasks in town. this'll be done today.
hanbot: nope, fuck me, still broken. i'm going to have to regrind again, meanwhile i have meattasks in town. this'll be done today. ☟︎
mircea_popescu: http://btcbase.org/patches?patchset=mp-wp&search= << keks they ended up diverged. normally i'd ask hanbot to regrind, except this is a large patch that needs some reading, so would you mind regrinding it on top of hers billymg ?
mircea_popescu: asciilifeform afaik both lobbes and spyked are working towards this : http://blog.lobbesblog.com/2018/11/conveyor-outlook-now-to-feb-2019/#selection-103.0-103.42 and http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html respectively.
lobbes_field: To update: Now that I have a bootable Cuntoo, a hand-rolled Gentoo, and a proper keccak v setup (with ave1-gnat), the only item left in my 'remedial' hopper is to read and sign Spyked's keccak regrind of logbot_command_router_python >> http://blog.lobbesblog.com/2019/01/hopper-update-january-2019/
shinohai: asciilifeform: didja get chance to do regrind steps on trb? I would of course *like* to have your sigs there, since you wrote a bunch of old patches.
mod6: Yeah, the regrind is straight forward, save the part where I axed out the UTF-8 char out of the genesis.
asciilifeform: it's a straight regrind, neh ?
shinohai: xpost for trb-ists: http://btcinfo.sdf.org/blog/trb-keccak-regrind-test-results-and-notes.html
shinohai: (Also have companion trb piece, but was waiting for mod6 's keccak regrind)
mod6: Also, it seems that my mega-diff in the blog somehow slightly-skews the justification to the right by a few characters. I'll try to remedy that. In the mean time, if people want to just read the raw text post instead, I've made that available here as well: http://www.mod6.net/2019/January/13/keccak_regrind_noUTF8.txt
mod6: While Republicans are reviewing the above, I'm going to continue working on my TRB HOWTO updates -- I think it's pretty much finished, but I want to test it first before I start handing it around for testing by all. After this, and blessings of the regrind from TMSR~, I'll put a date on when thebitcoin.foundation site will roll over to the keccak vtree exclusively.
mod6: http://blog.mod6.net/?p=26 << Here's my TRB Keccak Regrind blog post. I have a tarball linked very near the bottom that contains my reground trb keccak vtree, as well as seals for each. These are posted so one may test with these (I need the help!).
billymg: wondering about proper V process though, this is back in the previous patch i published to add the text selection feature, does this mean regrind both?
lobbes: wb mod6. I also look forward to reading your keccak regrind post (hopefully I can sponge some useful info)
mod6 has been working on the big blog post that outlines my work to create the keccak regrind for trb.
phf: http://btcbase.org/log/2019-01-05#1884636 << if i put that at the top of the free time work list i can get it out fairly fast, but i think keccak regrind that diana_coman is blocked by comes before that anyway ☝︎
trinque: asciilifeform: walletsnip patch works great, just need to find time to regrind and further test. and aha, meanwhile diverted to cuntoo so we have a l00nix
billymg: hanbot: going by the vpatch i found here http://thewhet.net/2018/06/mp-wp-genesis-regrind/ or http://btcbase.org/data/mp-wp/ the file does seem to contain a few references to e.g. .jpg.svg, .png.svg
mircea_popescu: spyked re http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html#fn4 : the "wrong cut" i'm affraid is the baked-in expectation that you (the impersonal you) might "choose" among "versions" of something as fundamental as the db system, somewhere as late in the flow of things as the userland.
a111: Logged on 2018-12-03 16:27 lobbes: http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html << this is pretty cool Spyked. I'ma give your regrind of logbot_command_router_python_genesis a test and if it all presses I'll sign
a111: Logged on 2018-12-03 13:08 mircea_popescu: previous thinking was generally that a regrind pretty much means collapsing a whole tree into a single genesis patch. but thinking about it i don't see why that has to be the case, if there's the hands to do more fine work.
spyked: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-12-03#1877916 <-- doing the regrind, I also had the sense that "this is akin to fitting lego pieces together in order to obtain meaningful result". and I'm pretty sure there's a log line describing v patches this way, but I couldn't find it. ☝︎
lobbes: http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html << this is pretty cool Spyked. I'ma give your regrind of logbot_command_router_python_genesis a test and if it all presses I'll sign ☟︎
a111: Logged on 2018-12-03 10:26 spyked: http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html <-- seems to have been lost in friday's deedbot downtime.
asciilifeform: my current understanding is that '1 genesis' regrind is when yer ready to 'swallow' a proggy into own project , and take over its maintenance with own hands ; 'history' is when regrinding own proggy, for manifestism/keccakism etc
asciilifeform: incidentally i still gotta keccak-regrind FG ( no one complained, but it still gotta be done )
a111: Logged on 2018-12-03 13:08 mircea_popescu: previous thinking was generally that a regrind pretty much means collapsing a whole tree into a single genesis patch. but thinking about it i don't see why that has to be the case, if there's the hands to do more fine work.
asciilifeform: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-12-03#1877916 << to date we've had both types of regrind ( e.g. diana_coman reground 'mpi' into 1 genesis, for use in smg ; ffa on other hand had a 'history-preserving' regrind , http://www.loper-os.org/?p=2743 ; and iirc mod6 is baking a 'history' regrind for trb ; diana_coman had 'history' regrind for eucrypt; and possibly i missed somebody in this list ) ☝︎
mircea_popescu: http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html#selection-147.0-147.65 << nice work. imo this is a fine golden standard, "test all noted V implementations on a regrind/regenesis."
mircea_popescu: previous thinking was generally that a regrind pretty much means collapsing a whole tree into a single genesis patch. but thinking about it i don't see why that has to be the case, if there's the hands to do more fine work. ☟︎☟︎
mircea_popescu: spyked interesting regrind-with-historicity.
spyked: http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/080-botworks-regrind.html <-- seems to have been lost in friday's deedbot downtime. ☟︎
spyked: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-11-21#1874133 <-- things were all nice and sweet back when http://thetarpit.org/posts/y05/07f-bucharest-ii.html#selection-499.71-499.250 and I got the wheels greased for ircbot regrind and rss bot (got both sitting here, the former's ready to be published), when my old man started getting intermittent fevers coupled with an excruciating pain in the leg muscles. we ended up burning our time in hospitals and still no clue wtf' ☝︎
trinque: you can, but you'll regrind them each time
a111: Logged on 2018-11-19 22:24 asciilifeform: ( and if you extend on one such, and want to propagate into the others, then must regrind -- but strictly the piece in question )
asciilifeform: and yes it is true that if you write 6 platform variants today, and want to change the common trunk tomorrow, you will need to regrind all 6. but this is 'not a bug, but a feature'
bvt: but i see how this is the correct process, and just a bit more optimized case of what i planned with branches diverging at the genesis (saves reader some labour of reading same vpatches in each branch). and if tree becomes to messy, can regrind.
asciilifeform: ( and if you extend on one such, and want to propagate into the others, then must regrind -- but strictly the piece in question ) ☟︎
diana_coman: asciilifeform, in my understanding he wanted to cement "common api" hence possibly root since that's the only common part for the 2 trees, hence "regrind" if new (because not in root etc)
asciilifeform: i've added all kindsa 'new api' in ffa, but the only regrind was when we took up new hash type for vtrons
asciilifeform: why would it 'cause regrind' ??
a111: Logged on 2018-11-19 20:45 bvt: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-11-19#1873573 << i will have to think more about vtree organization. if i use api as the foundation for the tree, adding new system calls would cause regrind; in this case, the api should be complete from day one.
diana_coman: keeping the trees in sync is probably cheaper than regrinding the whole thing anyway; and if /when it's not, then...regrind it as a single tree and that's that
diana_coman: bvt, precisely because it can't be fully clear in advance I'd suggest to choose the more flexible v-structure rather than something with set in stone requirements (such as API as root of the v tree sort of thing); this is NOT to say or guarantee you won't regrind but simply to not make ~surely needed
bvt: ftr, i don't expect that i will make this tree without a single regrind
bvt: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-11-19#1873573 << i will have to think more about vtree organization. if i use api as the foundation for the tree, adding new system calls would cause regrind; in this case, the api should be complete from day one. ☝︎☟︎
diana_coman: phf, I wanted to sign your vtools patches but I realised that they are using sha so I don't really know: do you plan to regrind them with keccak?
diana_coman: so to keep this fully aligned, I'll regrind the last 2 patches so that the docs changes are carried over as well; as a result: genesis = http://thebitcoin.foundation/v/V-20170317.tar.gz; 1st patch => http://thebitcoin.foundation/v/V-20180222.tar.gz; 2nd patch => using vtools & keccak instead of sha
deedbot: http://www.loper-os.org/?p=2743 << Loper OS - Finite Field Arithmetic Regrind into Keccak-V Format.
asciilifeform: i'd like to be able to put a link in the 'ffa regrind' article, 'and you can press it with ~this~'
asciilifeform: i was able to regrind ffa today, using phf's vdiff, but atm cannot yet press and confirm that it actually presses to same thing as the classical
a111: Logged on 2018-10-06 14:31 diana_coman: I'll soon do the regrind of eucrypt to move it on to keccak hashes; my plan is to keep the patches precisely as they are otherwise (i.e. including NO manifest until I actually added it at the end); the way I see it, it's just a swap-in-place of one hash for another; if anyone sees this sort of thing differently - since I'm hmmm,first to regrind a big project? - yell now !
asciilifeform: originally i was gonna simply regrind ( by running through new vdiff ) ch1-11, and invite reader to hand-diff if he likes and see that only hashes have changed. but then noticed that the new vdiff also processes files in different order, so this won't give clean 'only hashes' diff. so thinking, may as well retrofit manifest to each of ch1-11
ben_vulpes: footsoldiering task for me: regrind financials from april forward, april being the second-to-last time i audited cash held against statement claims (last time was before handoff to mod6, the correctness of which mod6 apparently doubts per http://btcbase.org/log/2018-11-11#1870970 ) ☝︎
mircea_popescu: "I packed the above code as a .vpatch on top of the previous genesis .vpatch mainly for keeping my original promise of showing this being built as it is with detours and corrections on the way. Otherwise this could equally well be a genesis in itself given how radically it changes pretty much everything in there. Nevertheless, at least for now - meaning until a final version is achieved and a regrind makes perhaps sense - I'l
mircea_popescu: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-10-14#1862400 << #1 thing you do, is you TALK TO PEOPLE! there is no jwz way out of politics. if regrind hurts you, tell them not to fucking do it ; and if they won't listen tell whoever will listen to not follow the new thing. and so fucking on. ☝︎
asciilifeform: and ideally erry 'alt' variant has a maintainer, who will regrind so that his variant continues to be usable .
asciilifeform: author can regrind all he wants, you are not forced to regrind yours unless you think it merits
asciilifeform: part of the exercise here is to purge head of the last vestiges of dark ages 'merge-istic' versiontronics . who wants variants, gotta remember that yer pressing variants built on specific states of the trunk. ( and if trunk meanwhile changed, and you still want it, must regrind )
ave1: diana_coman, I'll add my test and fix the typo and regrind
asciilifeform: phf: do ya think you can post the binaries-eating version soon-ish ? i'd like to regrind FG, for example.
asciilifeform: this is why i was not hurrying to regrind, thought (turns out correctly) that the new vdiff ain't 100% yet
asciilifeform: i am testing the version given in http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ .
asciilifeform: even setting aside 'if phf made mistake', it is not physically impossible for bit to flip on his hdd at the moment of signing regrind.
mircea_popescu: pretty much ~any~ regrind, regenesis, etc of this item bearing his signature is ~idempotent~ to extant material.
diana_coman: I'll soon do the regrind of eucrypt to move it on to keccak hashes; my plan is to keep the patches precisely as they are otherwise (i.e. including NO manifest until I actually added it at the end); the way I see it, it's just a swap-in-place of one hash for another; if anyone sees this sort of thing differently - since I'm hmmm,first to regrind a big project? - yell now ! ☟︎
asciilifeform: http://btcbase.org/log/2018-09-29#1855663 << i'ma hold off on further patches, even experimentals, until regrind, if mircea_popescu says 'hold' ☝︎
asciilifeform: prolly oughta also print the peer version hdrs, but that can go in the regrind.
mod6 is testing the phexdigit fix regrind
a111: Logged on 2018-09-27 09:34 diana_coman: http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ -> gotta ask here, phf, am I missing something or what Wednesday was that there in the first line meant to be?
asciilifeform: ( asciilifeform plowed through the phf-vtronics thread when came back from voyage, and then second time when diana_coman requested keccak regrind, and both times failed to converge to correct answ re 'is there complete keccak vtron' )
lobbesbot: phf: Sent 14 hours and 10 minutes ago: <asciilifeform> are http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ old-style or new-style vpatches ?? my vtron won't press'em, and there is no way to distinguish , nor anything in the post to indicate, unless i'm thick
a111: Logged on 2018-09-27 09:41 mircea_popescu: did you follow diana_coman 's http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/#comment-27 ?
mircea_popescu: did you follow diana_coman 's http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/#comment-27 ? ☟︎
mircea_popescu: asciilifeform phf's thing presses fine, since at least june ( http://thewhet.net/2018/06/mp-wp-genesis-regrind/ )
diana_coman: http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ -> gotta ask here, phf, am I missing something or what Wednesday was that there in the first line meant to be? ☟︎
asciilifeform: !Q later tell phf are http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ old-style or new-style vpatches ?? my vtron won't press'em, and there is no way to distinguish , nor anything in the post to indicate, unless i'm thick
asciilifeform: diana_coman: i.e. http://barksinthewind.com/2018/vtools-keccak-regrind/ ?
asciilifeform: you dun need regrind to rename files
a111: Logged on 2018-09-23 19:44 mod6: meanwhile, I've just dropped the thing on my website: http://mod6.net/excise_hash_truncation_regrind/
mod6: meanwhile, I've just dropped the thing on my website: http://mod6.net/excise_hash_truncation_regrind/ ☟︎
mod6: In other news, I've created a new excise hash truncation regrind vpatch, which includes the manifest.txt pasted above. Am re-testing it, currently. Will post to ML upon success.
asciilifeform: i'ma move this item to new-type v, eventually ( if diana_coman publishes a new-type regrind of it as part of smg , i'ma sign that and repost , or otherwise later )
mircea_popescu: the idea was "no more new work on sha, regrind old work at leisure"
asciilifeform: mircea_popescu: canhaz link to 'hey folx, phf's vtron out of beta, let's regrind trb etc nao' ?
a111: Logged on 2018-09-19 14:42 mod6: Before we embark on an entire regrind of the trb-vtree to use keccac, I think we just need a major release version of a "defacto" vtron that supports both SHA512 (for other legacy projects) and keccac. Sounds like phf's might fit the bill, but want to ensure that when the Foundation tackles this problem, it's on very stable footing.
asciilifeform: i dun even disagree with mircea_popescu's 'if it's still alive, it oughta be reground' item. but at the very least oughta be able to read the old trees with new tool and determine that somebody's regrind is actually bit-identical to the original, without burning several days per instance
diana_coman: fwiw I was talking strictly of *new* stuff for now; notice that I did *not* regrind eucrypt either - that can wait; new stuff however should use keccak imo
mod6: Before we embark on an entire regrind of the trb-vtree to use keccac, I think we just need a major release version of a "defacto" vtron that supports both SHA512 (for other legacy projects) and keccac. Sounds like phf's might fit the bill, but want to ensure that when the Foundation tackles this problem, it's on very stable footing. ☟︎
asciilifeform: really imho oughta switch the extension. note that this requires no regrind.